Tuesday, August 27, 2013


That's right, most bad things happen in three's, but some mixed things do too. Recently, three things have happened in my life, both good and bad.

1. My dear friend Sandi Rog came to visit us and take her oldest daughter to Freed-Hardeman University. My hubby and I attend FHU and we were happy to know that Whitney would be there also. She's even rooming in my old dorm. How good is that? We had a wonderful visit with Sandi, her husband, and children. It was great to renew friendships with hubby and kids. We hated to see them go, but we kept Whitney. She'll be calling our place home for the next four years, and I'm loving it.

2. While Sanid was here, she encouraged me to start Mantle Rock Publishing back up and running. She agreed to be my acquisition editor, and we began soliciting proposals.  It's so hard to be published by the larger publishing houses. So many of them have gone out of business in the last year. We thought this would
be a good opportunity to start the company back up again. We've received several good queries. Sandi has several children's books that we'll be publishing, plus we've received full manuscripts. I'm reading a full right now and waiting for approval from a printing company who will go our books on a national scale.

3. The third thing is the worse. Our internet modem died. It had been failing for some time. A couple of my writer friends came for a few days, and we had trouble getting on the internet. While the Rog's were here, it got worse. Finally, it all but died. I could use it plugged in with the ethernet, but that was all. That left us with only one computer working. My husband is not very good with my computer, he likes his own. Anyway, all these proposals were flying in, and we were limited with our internet. Not good! Finally ATT told us we needed a new modem and send it overnight. We tried to install it ourselves, but finally had to call the tech.

You never know what you will get when you call a tech. The first one sounded foreign with cotton stuck up his nose. I could not understand him, and he finally hung up on me. Not good. I then got an American who didn't know much. It was getting late and I decided to call the next day. I got Derrick. Derrick was a wonderful young man whose birthday is Friday. He stuck with me, and I mean stuck. He called back three times, even apologized when he was late calling. In the meantime, I had to call my computer company because something was wrong with my computer. Got this little guy in India and we did not communicate very well. After about thirty minutes, I got him to listen to what I was saying, and it was fixed. Derrick called me back on Monday, and my internet was fine. I hope Derrick and his son have a wonderful birthday Friday. He lives in Florida. A very good guy. Wish I could get him every time I call.

One last thing. I think I told you I was trying to lose weight. Well, I've lost ten pounds. I have thirty more to go. I'll make it, but it'll be slow. I'd rather do slow than fast. If I keep on my current plan, I'll lose a pound a week. That's what I've been doing so far. By this time next year, I'll be trim and fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment