Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Drawing Ends Saturday Night

Thanks for the entries so far. I am excited to give these books away. I want to get them mailed out before I leave for ACFW Conference. If you win and are planning to be at the conference, I'll bring it and give it to you there.

What do you think makes a good Indian/Western story?

The setting is important to me. Whether it is a desert type setting or a mountain setting, they are both beautiful, and the setting does a lot to tell the story.

Next, I want believable characters. Strong men and women. They don't have to be handsome men, but that helps. They have to be a character that I can identify with.

The story has to be active. Not monotone. I have to have something that raises my heartbeat. Something exciting. The best books are the ones I think I can't read another word. Then it draws me to pick it up and finish that scary scene.

There has to be an element of Christianity. I want good to win.

I like life stories. I like to kill off someone in a book. I'm getting ready to do that today. This guy is a handsome womanizer, and I want him out of the story. That happens in life, not in mine. In reality, it does happen.

I want a love story. Either they fall in love at first sight, or they hate each other and learn to love each other.

The last challenge is to make this into a good story of around 100,00 thousand words.

Tell me what you think makes a good story. It will go for the drawing of Captive Trail.

4 comments:

  1. When a white woman is taken captive by Indians. There are times they are honored because of their difference, and at times abused because of their difference. I would love to see how this story is played out.

    Linda at:
    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed the books written now days, authors have advanced in their writing a LOT. My husband and I am reading a book that was published in the early 1900's and.. what a contrast in the way it was written compared to now.

    The question I'm answering is: "what you think makes a good story". One of the main things is the way the conversations flow between people, their thoughts, and the activities going on around them. The old book we are reading constantly says 'he said, she said'. Choppy sentences. Also jump from one place to another and skip years between settings. I so much appreciate how book writings have advanced and seem so natural and understandable.

    Pam Williams
    cepjwms at wb4me dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pan, you are so right. I hate the head hopping. It gets me so mixed up. I also like the action in the tags. I feel writing is so much better now. I've read older books also. It's hard not to put the down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, I got the wrong letter, Pam. I'd rather be Pam than Pan, unless it's Panera Bread. Good eating.

    ReplyDelete