Thursday, April 25, 2013

WHAT IS IN MY FUTURE

I'm talking about my writing future. It's so much fun to think about what can happen with my books. There are so many ideas in my head and sometimes it's hard to get them down.

Last time I told you a little about Susannah. Today I want to tell you a little about Callie and Jacob's daughter, Emily. You probably already know I'm concerned with prejudice. The one thing I cannot stand is someone to be prejudice toward another color of skin. We were all created in God's image, no matter what our color is. Emily is no different.

Emily's Faith puts her in Kentucky in 1834 about the time of the Trail of Tears. Emily is the youngest daughter of Callie and Jacob. She becomes a teacher and begins by teaching in a girls school in Rogersville, TN (There really was one there, built on the site of Joseph Rogers peach orchard.). Val and Susannah's son is in the army and he is on leave and walks down the street with Emily. They were friends all their life and she sees nothing wrong with it, but the school does. Remember Val is of a mixed race and Susannah is very white. Their son is a darker color than most people.

The school fathers call her in the office and fire her on the spot for being seen with a person of color. She finds a job in Hopkinsville, KY. Did you realize the Indians spent the winter in and around Hopkinsville? I didn't either until I moved to Kentucky. That's all I'm going to tell. You can let your imagination go to work. If you know anything about the Trail of Tears, you know they were treated worse than animals.

What is after Susannah? I plan to finishing a book I've been working on for a while. It is about Jekyll Island, GA. I love the book because of the history on the island. I will be looking for an agent for that book. The Melungeon Series will be published on Amazon. I started them that way, and I want to finish them with Amazon. But the Jekyll book will be looking for a publisher.

What's after that? The first book I ever wrote is a contemporary, a mystery. I want to drag it out and finish it. I felt good about it when I started it, but it has a lot of things that need corrected. That will be after Emily. It's a funny book, and a scary book. I scared myself writing it.

Writing is so much fun. A friend of mine who writes non-fiction told me yesterday he is going to write a fiction book. I'm so excited for him. I'll tell you more about it when it is finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment