Tuesday, June 18, 2013

THINKING ABOUT ACFW CONFERENCE

It's less than three months before ACFW Conference begins in Indianapolis, IN. I am already getting excited and starting to plan my trip. If anyone else on this blog is going, this might help you.

The firsts thing to do is register. Make a copy of your registration form. I take it with me with the names of the agents/editors I've signed up to see.

If you are a first-timer, there is a first-timer meeting at the hotel on Friday at 11:00 a.m. I'm so glad it's not right before dinner as it has been in the past. This gives you time before the conference starts at 2.

When you register, read, read, read. Find out what level you are in and if the classes in that level are interesting, by all means register for what you want. Read what the different agents and editors require before you put them down for a preference. This year, I've seen agents want a full manuscript completed before you speak to them. Know their info and learn all you can about them.

Make a good one-sheet. This is hard for me. I hate doing them and I usually ask another author to help me. If you are pitching more than one story, make one-sheets for each one. I would even have a synopsis ready in case they ask for it. I have four books I want to bring to the attention of agents and I will have at least one-sheets for each of them. Then relax.

It is so hard for me to relax when I'm talking to an agent or editor. Number one, I'm trying to make a good impression. Number two, I want them to like my story. Usually words jumble all over the place and I make a fool of myself. When I go out of the room, I ask myself, "why did I say that?" If you have done your homework well with each agent and editor, you'll know what you need to about them, so feel comfortable and relax.

Clothes are the biggest thing on my agenda. Comfortable clothes, not anything tight or confining. I wear flats all the time, even to the awards banquet. I also can't stand for my feet to get cold, so I'm not wearing sandals. Think about what you feel comfortable in and wear it. Start now to think about clothes you'll wear.

Leave room in your suitcase for the books you'll be bringing home. I have a little fold up bag that unzips into a good sized dufffel bag. It's my favorite for trips where I will pick up extras. It fits in my suitcase and I can carry it on when flying.

I'm sure there are other things I could say, but these come to mind this morning. One last thing. Drink plenty of water. Your body is going to be out of sync during the week-end, so you need the extra water.

Start planning now and I'll see you in Indianapolis in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment