Monday, May 14, 2012

BELATED HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Here's hoping everyone had a Happy Mother's Day. I did with flowers and lunch out. Then I slept the rest of the afternoon. How relaxing!

Saturday I'm giving a presentation on Hooks. Not fish hooks, I'd have to have my husband do that. After all, he's had one embedded in his arm. No, hooks in a story. I do know how important they are and how easy we forget them. I'd like to ask a few questions and hope you will respond, even if you are not a writer.

How do you feel about hooks?

Where do you put hooks? Beginning of scene, chapter, end of scene or chapter.

Do you have a special way of writing hooks?

Can you have too many hooks?

I feel a book can be boring without hooks. In The Guardian Duke, I felt it was full of hooks, and I didn't want to put it down. It was not a boring book, but very exciting. Not all books can be that way. I want my book, and anything I read, to keep me interested. That's what I feel hooks are for.

Even a fairy tale kept you hooked because you wanted to find out what would happen to the princess and the witch. Would her prince find her in time before the witch did something bad to her? We, as children, were hooked from the beginning of the book.

I'd like to hear what you think about hooks. I give my presentation Saturday and I'd like some fresh ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment