Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Don't Tell too Much

Since I started writing, I've had a rough time wanting to tell instead of show everything going on. It's easy for a writer to just tell a story, but I want to feel the story. I'm still struggling with that, but I'm learning more each time I write and when I read other books, I learn from that also.

How do you show? Action! This morning I'm sitting at my computer in my bright green office, not my choice of color but it does wake you up. I'm listening to the dishwasher that I forgot to turn on last night. My husband is walking through the kitchen and mumbling something, not unusual. We're having company for breakfast and I'm not sure sure yet what I'm preparing, ham or tenderloin. Either will be good. Did you get a window of what's going on while I write?

When we talk, do we move you hands as I do? My husband says if you tie my hands behind me I won't be able to say a word. How do you sit down? Do you put your hand behind you and smooth your clothes in the back before you sit, or do you flop down? All that is showing what is going on.

"What's for supper!" Billie Jo asked as she ran into the house slamming the screen door behind her.

Mom lifted the lids of the pots on the stove. "There's fried chicken, masked potatoes, gravy, peas and biscuits. For dessert there's apple pie." She turned to Billie Jo with a spoon in her hand. "Hurry and wash up, supper's ready."

Billie Jo rushed to the bathroom. Why was Mom fixin' her favorite supper? Something must be going on. This time she did not throw the towel in the floor.

It takes time to think about these things. I'm so slow when I write because this doesn't come easy for me. One thing I do want is to make my WIP interesting and exciting. The more I learn the more I enjoy writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment