Monday, April 4, 2011

Tater Day

Today is Tater Day. Never lived anywhere that the good old potato was celebrated. This is supposed to be one of the longest festival in Kentucky. Apparently, it started in the 1800's when people would bring their seed potatoes to town to swap them. Most people don't know what a seed potato is now.

No one brings potatoes anymore, but they do have booths set up to sell food, crafts, and just about anything. There is usually a Tater Day Parade. Today it got rained out or maybe I should say stormed out.

We have had storms until around 1 o'clock this afternoon. The tornado watch was lifted a few minutes ago. The siren at the fire station went off twice, plus my weather radio went off about twenty times. I can't concentrate when this is happening. I'm almost like a dog. My ears hurt from all the noise.

Did I partake of Tater Day? No! I don't like crowds and I don't like the hot sun. I've been to a lot of festivals in my day and I don't go to them anymore. My home town in Tennessee has a large one. It's called Heritage Days and there used to be around 100,000 people attend. I went the first few years when it was small, but not anymore. My class reunion is scheduled around Heritage Days and I guess I won't be going to it either.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a sunny day. I'm ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment