Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Agents

Agents are a blessing and a curse. From my experience so far, they are a curse. I have not found one that  seems to be decent.
What do you look for in an agent? I look for someone honest. I know they're out there, but I seem to find the dishonest. One was sending me a contract, but I never received it. I seemed to fall through the cracks. Then I was promised a contract again, but it never materialized. Aren't we supposed to be honest in ACFW?
Then came the one who was flippant. I didn't like that at all. Why didn't they say, "At this time I can't take your book." That would have been better than the remark they made.
I hear other writers talk about their agents. I know there are wonderful agents that care about their clients. Maybe I'm not ready for an agent yet, but I have in mind what I want. Someone who cares about me and wants to see my business grow. Someone who will encourage me to do my best.
Why do I always find the ones who don't care? I seem to be drawn to the wrong agent. Years ago, my daughter and I did craft shows. We are tole painters, and I lov painting. At one show in Florida, we were in a mall that retired citizens frequented. I am one of those people now, but I don't think I'm as bad as these were. My daughter was going to get something to eat and was leaving me by myself at our booth. As she left, she said, "Mom, don't look up or speak to anyone. Just paint and don't pay attention to anyone who comes by." I tried, but a little ole man came by and kept watching me. Finally I looked up, and he asked me if I could paint his little doggie on his necktie.
When my daughter came back, she said, "I told you not to look up. You always draw these little ole people." She's right. I seem to have a feeling for those less fortunate than myself. I felt sorry for this man. He was alone, and his dog had died.
So, that must be the way I am with agents. Before I send another query out, I'm going to be sure this book is the best it can be. I saw this quote the other day. "When defeat comes, accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound, rebuild those plans, and set sail once more toward your coveted goal."

No comments:

Post a Comment