Monday, February 23, 2009

Anniversary and Allergy

Yesterday was our forty-sixth wedding anniversary. It snowed the same as it did forty-six years ago. There was more snow then than there was yesterday.

My husband is a jewel and I don't know how I could get along without him. We have been through a lot and he has been there beside me through it all. The years have gone so fast and we have enjoyed all of them. He is my knight in shining armor.

We usually go out to eat on our anniversary and last night was no exception. On the last Sunday of the month, we have a covered dish dinner at church, so lunch was taken care of. We also have a short afternoon service and then don't return for Sunday night.

When we came home, we decided to go visit another congregation and see a friend of ours. When we arrived at the church, there was no one there. Apparently they had either cancelled services or had a covered dish day and did the same as we did. Instead of driving all the way back home, we thought we would go out to eat. That sounded safe.

We have always liked the Shoney's Restaurant in Harrogat, TN and we were not that far away, so we drove there. I have an allergy to shellfish and I know not to eat them at all. I ordered pecan breaded chicken and it sounded so good. When my husband returned from the salad bar, he said, "I almost sat down with that woman in front of us, she has a plate full of shrimp." 

I didn't think anything of it because I am very careful when I eat out. My chicken came and I took the first bite. The first bite tells me if there was shellfish around or not. I get nauseous. I did get nauseous, but still didn't think anything about it. I didn't feel really well  when we returned home and went to bed. 

This morning it hit me. I was so sick. As I sat in the bathroom, I went back in mt mind the people who was at church yesterday and if anyone complained of sickness. No one did. That eliminated the whole congregation, so it was not a virus. Then the light bulb came on in my head. That woman in front of us had shrimp.

I crawled back in bed with swollen eyes swelled hands. I knew then what it was. Shoney's had fried her shrimp in the same grease that my chicken was fried in. That did make me feel better to know what it was, but it didn't help my pain and sickness. 

I've had a nap and I am still not feeling well. My joints hurt. To make matters worse, my husband went on the hill to cut some wood up for a friend of ours. Somehow, he mashed his toe. Now we are both under the weather. I'm going to try to get him to the doctor because he will have to stay off that foot for a while. It looks pretty bad. At least we can complain together. We will survive. we're both too ornery to do differently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment