Friday, April 2, 2010

Writers Groups

Last night was our monthly meeting of Marshall County Writers Group. It was a good meeting. Tammy, our leader, showed us her synopsis and query letter. The dreaded synopsis and query letter. That's what most writers call them because they hate to do them.

Our group is a mixture of unpublished and published writers. Some are Christian writers and some are main stream. I much prefer writing Christian books instead of having to worry about language. Tammy writes teen fantasy, which I don't read and she does go into language that I don't use. There is a market for what she writes.

Recently I did a synopsis for a contest. I hate to do them with a passion. I put it off as long as I can, but eventually the demon roars it's ugly head and I have to get busy. Why do I hate it so much? You have to tell about your whole book in one to three pages. Horrible! It has to be something that grabs the agent or publisher and wants them to read more. I spend hours on a synopsis. In comparison to my writing time on a book, it takes longer to write a synopsis than it does a 90,000 word book. To say the least, I HATE THEM!!!

Now the query letter . This is where you sell yourself and your book. It is usually the first thing an agent or publisher sees, and it has to be good. It has to be you sitting in front of them talking. I would much rather meet an agent or publisher face to face than write a query letter. You should tell them about yourself and why you think this book is the best ever. I get up tight and it doesn't come out very well. When I talk to an agent or publisher, I get the same way. When I talked to an agent recently, I didn't know what to say and I told her that. She was so sweet and kind. She said, "This is the time we get to know each other." I hope she liked me and I hope she will like my baby.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, in a couple of months, I'll be writing the dreaded query letter and synopsis, plus the other things this agent requires. I hope by writing this and telling you how I feel, that it will make me feel better when that day comes.

Have a wonderful week-end. Don't eat too many chocolate eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment