Monday, August 2, 2010

Laugh At Yourselv

How many of us can laugh at ourself? It's healthy if you can, and you have much more respect for yourself if you can laugh at your own mistakes. In fact, laughing is healthy.

Saturday night we attend the Kentucky Opry where Jeanne Robertson was the star and star she was. Every little thing she told was on her and we all laughed with her. In fact, I laughed until I cried all evening. She is so funny. I also came away with her 7-Up Pound Cake.

Between the warm-up show and her show, she mingled in the audience. I looked over and she had her arm around my husband. Our friends were sitting beside of us and I turned to Lyn and said, "What's that woman doing hugging my husband?" They were laughing and having a good time, but I think it was the highlight of his evening.

She talked about how she was always listening to what people around her said. All writers should be doing that. We get fodder for our books. You can see people that you want to put in your books or hear stories that can be included. I heard about a motorcycle accident and it is in my book. I know, they didn't have motorcycles in 1796, but it could be rearranged to that time period.

I watch people because their actions can be included in a character. I've always been a people watcher. I'm sure people have watched me also, but it's still fun.

The one thing that impressed me about Jeanne Robertson was the way she was available for her fans. She is very humble and talks to everyone. That's a lesson all writers can use. Don't ever be better than your fans and always try to encourage others. Most authors are like that, but there are a few who are not. Most are very encouraging. I think about my friends who are authors. Everyone is down to earth and eager to help. I appreciate that and plan to do the same when I am published.

Laughter is the best medicine. It was proved Saturday night. An hour of laughing did me so much good. I slept like a baby. I will be there when she comes back to the Kentucky Opry.

No comments:

Post a Comment