Friday, June 26, 2009

Tips on Writing

If I am not a dedicated reader, I cannot write. Reading tells me all kinds of things about a writer and their dedication. If they are trying to make you feel their thoughts, they write in a way you will understand what they are talking about.

This has been one of the most difficult parts of my journey into writing. I have taken a few wrong turns and gotten way off track. Part of what I have written makes no sense in my book and I am seeing that now.

When I get off track, I read a book by an author who I know is good. Right now I am reading Anathema by Colleen Coble. I am learning from her how to write mysteries. Don't know if I ever want to write a mystery, but I may sometime. I like the way she sticks with the character and you feel you know Hannah. You also feel her fears and guilt. So far, I am enjoying this style of writing.

We all have our own style or voice. I think I am coming into mine, but I do know it will take several books before it gets there. I can wait and learn more.

I will agree that the craft books are great, but I learn more from others when I read what they are writing. I hope this book does not get too scary for me, but I have mastered Steven James' books, so I can get through this one.

Lots to do today, now that I am feeling better. Today is a pretty good day compared to the last three.

2 comments:

  1. Reading fiction is an important element in learning how to write fiction, but their are lots of self-help books out there that really help you to read for learning too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the self-help books, but I am learning more by reading fiction. It brings it all together after I have read the self-help.

    ReplyDelete