Friday, April 10, 2009

Morning From the Hills

The Sound of Music comes to my mind this morning. The hills are really alive with the sound of music and beautiful flowers. My tulips are the best they have ever been. The dogwoods behind the house are beginning to bud and the red buds are full of color. It is a beautiful time of year. I have not been able to enjoy it as much as I want to. I've been stuck at the computer most of the time. 

I have been reading in my spare time. I finished A Claim of Her Own by Stephanie Grace Whitson and enjoyed reading about the Old West. That is one part of history that I know little about. I learned a lot of historical facts.

The story is very interesting. The writing is good and keeps to the subject. No wild rabbit chasing. I liked the way the historical facts seemed to be so real. Stephanie has a way of telling a story that puts you there up front and personal. I do recommend reading this book, especially if you enjoy the Wild West. 

Mattie goes to Deadwood to see her brother, but finds out he is dead. She works his claim and finds gold. It has two love stories, which I enjoyed. I felt like I was in Deadwood in that time period. I enjoyed watching Mattie's faith turn and watching her become her own self. I recommend it highly. 

Last night, after midnight, I finished reading Christine Lynxwiler/s The Reluctant Cowgirl. I knew I had to finish it last night. As always, Chris did a wonderful job telling the story. This was refreshing after working on a historical all day. Chris weaves the story of an actress from Arkansas who comes home for a visit and ends up, well, I won't tell you.

Everyone who knows me well, knows I am a big fan of Chris'. She is an excellent writer and a good friend. This was an excellent book. 

I have so much to do today. I have to go to town and see if I can find the young man who is house sitting for us while we are in Scotland. I lost his cell phone number. It's getting close to the time to go and I need to talk to him. I pray everyone has a great week-end. Don't eat too many chocolate eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment