Thursday, January 22, 2009

Self-Edits

Right now I am in the middle of a self-edit. No, I am not editing myself, which would be a good idea, but I am going through my novel and making it stronger.

Yesterday I talked about characterizations and how we need to notice people. That has been brought home to me more than once. When you are writing, you also want to bring the reader into the book by using our senses. Did the character smell something, touch something, see something, hear something? Remember this is a real person to you.

That is what I am doing now. I have finished the first draft, so to say. With 79,500 words already written, I am able to add more words by giving more detail. This is wonderful and I am enjoying bringing them to life for the reader.

If you are writing, remember to put this in your book. I realize not everyone writes, but if you write a blog you want it to be interesting. If you blog as a scrapbooker, the feel of the paper is important. At lease it is for me if it has fibers in it or other things you can feel. There is more to say about things than we realize. 

I have learned so much in the last few weeks. Now I am anxious to finish with this edit. I have finished most of my house work today so I can write. The only thing I have to do is read the Bible for today and exercise. 

I have exercised for 23 days and more than that with daily Bible readings. Both exercises strengthen my mind and body. I have to make my body strong before we take our trip. I think there will be "hill walking" on the agenda. Also, strengthen my knowledge in God's Word is something I try to do daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment