Friday, January 23, 2009

We're Having a Heat Wave

The south is not supposed to be cold! Last week we were three degrees and it was COLD! Today it is supposed to be close to sixty degrees. That is a big difference. I did find out one thing. When it is really, really cold, I can't write. It was warm in my house, but I think my brain was frozen.

I did whine a little to a friend in northern Ohio. She had no pity for me since she was living with a -25 degrees. For us in Tennessee three is cold.

My writing was slow yesterday due to another accident I had. I am accident prone and I tripped over a rug and fell into my kitchen. I landed on my bad knee and my shoulder. I also hit my mead on a coat rack. My head hurt most of the afternoon and my knee was swollen. Today I am sore, no bruises showing yet and I do have a headache. I've taken Tylenol and I should feel better in a few minutes.

In re-writing yesterday, I did find I was using a lot of the same words. I do try to watch, but then I get lazy and forget to catch everything. That is why you have critique partners and editors. 

I've tried to use those talking machines, but I am not technical and I can never get it to work. I put one on my computer and never could get the little fellow to read my novel. I must be doing something wrong. I do want to try again to see if I can get it to work. It will help with my writing.

I don't think I have written much about determination. I am a firm believer that if you are determined to do something and work hard to do it, that it will happen. Working in the right way is important.

I hear a lot of people say they have written several books, but none are published. They continue to get rejections. Rejections can be discouraging or they can be an encouragement. They are a learning tool. The letters tell you what you can do to improve. Determination comes next. Are you going to use all the tools you have available to make yours the best book ever, or are you going to wallow in your defeat? Personally, I'm going to use everything I can to make this the perfect book.

It's not cheap to succeed. We get nothing free in this world. If you want to succeed, you need to find a good editor to read your book and show you what you need to do to improve. I have found editors to be kinder than critique partners. I've laughed at some of the notes that my editor gives me. She shows me in a nice way what I can do to improve. I don't think she has ever said, "Don't do this" or "Don't do that." She has shown me in a positive way that I understand. Then comes the Flip Dictionary to find a better word. I don't know how anyone writes without a Flip Dictionary. It is so useful.

I need to make up for lost time and get busy. I'm still enjoying my "work." I don't think I can call this work. It is so much fun. I am praying that my book will be ready to send to a publisher before the end of this year. Then you can all read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment