Friday, January 30, 2009

More About Agents

You can probably tell this is something I am very concerned about at this time in my writing career. It is time for me to think seriously about whether I want an agent or not.

Chip MacGregor, who is an agent, has a good newsletter. The last two have been about agents and I am sure there are more. I know he will be answering more questions in his next issue. He tells you where to go to find out more about agents. Go to www.chipmacgregor.com and sign up for his newsletter.

I am looking for an honest agent. That is high on my priority list. I also want someone who will give me honest advice and not sugar coat it. If they are not trying to sell my book, let me know. I have heard Chip say before if you and he do not get along, go to someone else you like better and he won't hold you to him. That impresses me about any agent. I don't think I could work with someone I could not get along with.

The best way to meet agents is to go to conferences. Yes, it is expensive, but, honey, you don't get anything for free. These agents won't hear about your book on the grapevine and come to you, you have to find them. 

Those television commercials that tell you they made $5000 dollars a month working part-time, the key word is "work." They worked to get it, it was not handed to them. Writing is the same way. If you want to be recognized, you have to work. Go to conferences, meet people, network with authors, learn about publishing houses, enter contests and get to know agents. It is hard work and it costs money, but start saving and do it. You will not regret it. 

I'm a planner. I plan my day either the night before or the minute I get out of bed. I know what I need to do and I try to do it. I know when I want to have my novel polished and ready for an agent or publisher. I am trying to work as hard as I can to accomplish my desires. I'm not dreaming, I am working.

No comments:

Post a Comment